Table Of Contents
- 1 Introduction Coconut Oil Good For
- 2 Coconut Oil Good For Balancing of Hormones
- 3 Coconut Oil Good for Heart Disease and High Blood Pressure Prevention.
- 4 Coconut Oil Good for Healthy Weight loss.
- 5 Coconut Oil Good for Fungal and Bacteria Infections
- 6 Coconut Oil Good for Brain Function and Memory Boost.
- 7 Coconut Oil Good for Gallbladder disease and Pancreatitis
- 8 Coconut Oil Good for Treating Alzheimer's disease naturally.
- 9 Coconut Oil Good for Prevention and Treatment of Cancer
- 10 Coconut Oil Good for Kidney Disease, liver protection, and Urinary Tract Infections.
- 11 Coconut Oil Good for Osteoporosis Prevention.
- 12 Coconut Oil Good for Ulcerative Colitis, Stomach ulcers, and Digestion.
- 13 Coconut Oil Good for Immune System.
- 14 Coconut Oil Good for Muscle Building
- 15 Coconut Oil Good for Anti Aging.
- 16 Coconut Oil Good for Improving Type 2 Diabetes
- 17 Coconut Oil Good for Tooth Decay and Gum Disease.
- 18 Coconut Oil Good for Skin and Face Issues.
- 19 Coconut Oil Good for the Hair.
- 20 Reference
Introduction Coconut Oil Good For
The benefits and uses of coconut oil are far beyond what anyone could think, there are over 2,000 studies showing the benefits of coconut oil, yet new studies are still emerging it seems exhaustless. In the post “Coconut Oil Good For”, we will be looking into the most prominent uses of coconut oil, you might be shocked at what you will discover, I was amazed when I discovered them also.
The only fear to be entertained when using coconut oil is whether is the oil is organic and virgin coconut oil, if you stick through this post, you will not only discover the benefits of coconut oil but also when to get organic virgin coconut oil for free, yes free.
Coconut Oil Good For Balancing of Hormones
Many studies have shown that coconut oil can be beneficial in balancing the hormones naturally, before we discuss how coconut oil can assist with hormonal imbalance, let us list some signs and symptoms of hormonal imbalance.
Hormones are chemical messengers produced in the endocrine glands of the body, they are responsible for relaying messages from the blood where they are secreted to the organs, skin, muscles, and other tissues.
The slightest shift in the normal microscopic amount of hormone secretion can lead to the following: Depression, insomnia, anxiety, fatigue, brain fog or confusion, pains and aches of the muscles, reproductive issues, dry mouth, nerve damage, unaccountable weight gain, or loss, irregular periods, digestive issues, low sex drive, erectile dysfunction, mood swung, higher perceived stress, abnormal hair growth, etc.,
To naturally balance the hormones, exchange foods high in carbohydrates for healthy fats. Saturated fats and cholesterol are needed by the body to create hormones, healthy fats should include a variety of short, medium, and long-chain fatty acids.
Apart from being indispensable in the production of hormones, fatty acids are also fundamental in keeping Inflammation levels low, they enhance metabolism and boost Healthy weight loss.
The best sources of healthy fat are wild-caught salmon, Avocados, and coconut oil.
Coconut Oil Good for Heart Disease and High Blood Pressure Prevention.
Coconut oil contains about 91% healthy saturated fat, these saturated fats increase the high-density lipoproteins in our body these high-density lipoproteins are healthy cholesterol our body needs.
Not only does coconut oil increase this good cholesterol, but it also assists in converting low-density lipoproteins into good cholesterol which helps in lowering the risk of heart disease.
A Randomized Crossover Trial Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine article published in Hindawi Journal showed an astonishing increase in high-density lipoproteins cholesterol in their subjects after daily consumption of two tablespoons of Virgin Coconut Oil for eight weeks.
Coconut Oil Good for Healthy Weight loss.
A study from Boston University Medical School published in the Obesity Research Journal found the metabolism of stored fat increased in their subject, in fact, researchers said that stored fat metabolism mimicked that of fasting.
When an individual is fasting, the body in a quest to get energy for its activities falls back to stored fats in the body, consuming virgin coconut oil enhance the body’s ability not only to burn the coconut oil as fuel but to also convert bad cholesterol into H-D-L and burn for fuel also, thus ensuring healthy weight loss.
Coconut Oil Good for Fungal and Bacteria Infections
According to a study by the University College Hospital Ibadan Nigeria, published in the Journal of Medicinal foods, it was observed that coconut oil is an excellent substitute to antimicrobials and antifungal medications, and it is more effective than most typically prescribed medication.
Virgin Coconut Oil was used to treat different species of Candida, according to the researchers, it is noteworthy that coconut oil was active against species of candida at 100% concentration. Coconut oil should be used in the treatment of fungal infections in view of emerging drug resistance candida species.
Another research article from Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy confirmed medium-chain free fatty acids and their corresponding 1-Monoglyceride have a broad spectrum of microbicidal activity against enveloped viruses and various bacteria in Vitro including pathogens like herpes simplex virus, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Chlamydia trachomatis, Group A and B streptococcus and staphylococcus aureus.
To effectively eradicate these microbes, it is encouraged to exclude processed grains and refined sugar from the diet of one suffering these infections and eat more healthy fats, a tablespoon of coconut oil three times a day will yield desired results.
Coconut Oil Good for Brain Function and Memory Boost.
The medium-chain fatty acids found in coconut oil are easily digested and converted into energy thus making readily available energy for the brain cells.
The brain cells are able to use the ketone produced in the digestion of coconut oil without the assistance of insulin, which makes coconut oil an excellent alternative source of energy supply to the body. According to Dr. KT Vinod Krishnan, consuming half a teaspoon of Virgin Coconut Oil on empty stomach would boost diminishing memory power.
According to a research study by James E. Galvin, MD, MPH, and team, there was observed an improvement in the memory issues in their older subjects and improvement in the ability to recall across all the other subjects after administration of coconut oil.
Coconut Oil Good for Gallbladder disease and Pancreatitis
The work of the gallbladder is to store bile e which is responsible for the further breaking down of our foods. The pancreas makes pancreatic juices called enzymes which help our body break down food. If the pancreas breaks down, the cells of the body suffer malnutrition and Starvation.
According to the research carried out in the Institute of Animal Nutrition, Hohenheim University, Stuttgart Germany, and published in the Journal of Animal Science, it was observed the medium-chain fatty acids found in Virgin Coconut Oil does not need the secretion of pancreatic enzymes in order to get digested, thereby reducing the workload and strain on the pancreas.
Furthermore, there has been observed a significant improvement in symptoms of gallbladder disease by replacing other long-chain fats with coconut oil.
Coconut Oil Good for Treating Alzheimer's disease naturally.
The human brain produces its own insulin to assist it in the processing of glucose needed for the proper functioning of its cells, whatever affects the functioning of the brain in all aspects.
Just here is where the trouble of the Alzheimer’s patient begins, the brain of the Alzheimer’s patient loses its capacity to produce its own insulin needed for the brain cell.
But a glimpse of hope is seen in a research article by Mary. T. Newport and team, in this research, it was found that providing ketone bodies to the brain can bypass metabolic blocks to glucose utilization and improve function in energy-starved neurons.
That is to say, the brain cells of the Alzheimer’s patient need not depend on the brain ability to produce insulin which will help in driving glucose into the brain cells, ketone bodies can provide an excellent alternative source of energy and nutrient to starving brain cells without the aid of insulin.
This is where coconut oil plays a vital role, when the medium-chain fatty acids found in coconut oil are digested, they are converted to ketone bodies, meaning they provide ready energy for the brain cells and help repair brain functions.
Coconut Oil Good for Prevention and Treatment of Cancer
Coconut oil has an amazing feature that helps in the treatment of cancer, but in this article, we will be looking into 3 out of other numerous features.
a. Due to the glucose dependence nature of Tumor cells, they find it difficult to survive in an environment that deprive them of glucose, because glucose must be available for its cells to be fueled and energized, this is so with healthy cells of our body, with no difficulties healthy cells swap from glucose to ketone bodies as a source of fuel and energy.
Switching from high carbohydrates diet to a ketogenic diet is a sure way to starve and weaken the cancerous cells while the healthy cells are enabled to fight the cancerous cells effectively.
b. In scientific research published in the Cell Death Discovery Journal, the lauric acid which is the primary saturated medium-chain fatty acid contained in coconut oil was found to induce antiproliferative and pro-apoptotic responses in both breast and endometrial cancer cells.
This is to say, the lauric acid and capric acid found in coconut oil stops the growth of malignant cells and enhance their death rate or reduce the lifespan of those cells.
c. A research article published in the American Society of Microbiology Journal showed that the medium-chain fatty acid contained in coconut oil digests the lipid wall of bacteria, it also kills Helicobacter pylori bacteria that increase the risk of gastric cancer.
Coconut Oil Good for Kidney Disease, liver protection, and Urinary Tract Infections.
According to an article published in the Journal of Basic and Clinical Psychology and Pharmacology, it was found that the Lipid coating on bacteria is destroyed by the antimicrobial activity of the medium-chain fatty acid contained in virgin coconut oil, thereby killing them.
It was also said that coconut oil protects the liver from damage.
The water of coconut can be of great help in the dissolution of kidney stones and in the hydration of the body.
Coconut Oil Good for Osteoporosis Prevention.
According to an Evidence-based scientific study published in the Hindawi Journal, the investigation showed Virgin Coconut Oil is rich in antioxidants that have the potential to prevent the activities of Oxidative stress and free radicals.
Oxidative stress and free radicals were found to be the main culprits in the pathogenesis or beginning of osteoporosis. The researchers saw a significantly great bone volume in their subjects after supplementing them with Virgin coconut oil.
The team arrived at the conclusion that virgin coconut oil is effective in the maintenance of the bone structure and prevents bone loss in estrogen-deficient subjects.
Improvement was also seen in the absorption of calcium in the gut after subjects were supplemented with coconut oil.
Coconut Oil Good for Ulcerative Colitis, Stomach ulcers, and Digestion.
The intake of Omega-3-fatty acids with coconut oil made the omega-3-fatty acids twice more effective than when taken alone.
Additionally, it is also observed that coconut oil enhances the body’s ability to absorb fat-soluble vitamins, Calcium, and Magnesium.
The imbalance of candida, poor digestion, Inflammation, and a decrease in stomach acid volume lead to ulcerative colitis and stomach ulcers.
Coconut oil remedies the above condition by destroying bad bacteria and Candida, which in turn improves gut health and increases good bacteria.
Coconut Oil Good for Immune System.
The origin of every sickness can be traced back to a compromised immune system, when the immune system is down, there is a relative increase in the growth of bad bacteria, parasites, fungal and viruses.
An article published in the Journal of Medicinal Food it was proved that lauric acid, caprylic acid, and capric acid, the main 3 fatty acids found in coconut oil had the ability to inhibit the growth of microbes, the researchers observed a disruption of both the cell membrane and the cytoplasm of the cells of microbes when exposed to 2mg/ml of lauric acid in vitro.
The study demonstrates the growth inhibition of microbes with the medium-chain fatty acid derived from virgin coconut oil.
It is advised when sick to consume one tablespoon of virgin coconut oil three times daily in combination with plenty of vegetables.
Sugar and refined grain should be minimized as they feed and enhance the growth of bad bacteria
Coconut Oil Good for Muscle Building
Muscle building supplements are becoming more and more popular, most muscle building products are found to contain medium-chain fatty acids, but the vast majority of these supplements use the processed form of medium-chain fatty acid.
By taking the actual virgin coconut oil, you will be more benefited. It is actually recommended by doctors and Nutritionists to add two tablespoons of virgin coconut oil to every muscle-building shake daily.
Coconut Oil Good for Anti Aging.
In a publication of the Journal of food and function; researchers observed after 45 days of work that virgin coconut oil improved the antioxidant status by preventing Oxidative stress, decreasing the formation of lipid peroxidation, and protein oxidation products in serum and tissues of their subjects. The activities of virgin coconut oil detoxified the liver as well.
To slow down aging naturally, it is recommended by doctors to take a tablespoon of coconut oil with antioxidant-rich berries for breakfast. Applying virgin coconut oil directly on the skin also retards the clock of aging.
Coconut Oil Good for Improving Type 2 Diabetes
The pathogenesis of type 2 Diabetes is the refusal of the cells to respond to insulin to use glucose for its energy, high glucose in the blood forces the pancreas to pump more insulin, placing more workload on the pancreas.
The article published with Journal of Food Science Technology, confirmed that medium-chain fatty acids in virgin coconut oil assist in the improvement of healthy digestion by taking away the load and strain off the shoulders of the pancreas and giving the cells of the body an instant source of energy that is not insulin-dependent.
Coconut Oil Good for Tooth Decay and Gum Disease.
In a study published with the Journal of Traditional And Contemporary Medicine, it was observed that oil pulling done with virgin coconut oil prevents; dental caries, improves oral hygiene, decreased oral microbial count, inhibits adhesion of plaque to the teeth and oral surface, reduce gingivitis, reduces halitosis, strengthen oral cavity, muscle, and Jaws, whitens teeth, cures tooth pain, takes care of oral Candidiasis and improves general health.
It is recommended to use a tablespoon full of oil in swishing around the mouth early in the morning before breakfast and on an empty stomach for about 20 minutes, at the end of oil pulling, if done correctly the oil will become milky white and thinner, it should be spewed out, wash the mouth thoroughly with saline water or toothbrush.
The oil should not be swallowed as it contains bacteria and toxins.
Oil pulling generates antioxidants which damage the cell wall of microorganisms and kill them, the oil will attract the lipid layer of the bacterial cell membrane and cause it to stick or get attracted and pulled to the oil.
Lauric acid contained in coconut oil has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory properties which prevent dental caries and is beneficial for oral health.
Coconut Oil Good for Skin and Face Issues.
Coconut oil has numerous properties that make it beneficial for the skin, in a review article published with the International Journal of Molecular Science showed the antimicrobial properties of virgin coconut oil makes face and skin hostile for Candida, fungi, and other microbes that contribute to many skin disorders.
Additionally, coconut oil is a good cleanser and moisturizer, it can also serve as a sunscreen for the body and face. The antioxidants in coconut oil fight against wrinkles and aging.
Coconut Oil Good for the Hair.
Coconut oil is perfect for the hair, it takes care of dry hair, dandruff, and itchy scalp, it is found to protect the hair by 20% from ultraviolet rays of the sun. In an article published with the International Journal of Trichology, coconut oil was said to protect the hair from damage during the grooming process.
The antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties of coconut oil were found to provide the hair with a conducive environment for healthy growth, it also reduced protein loss from the hair.
2. Surarong Chinwong, Dujrudee Chinwong, Ampica Mangklabruks, “Daily Consumption of Virgin Coconut Oil Increases High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Levels in Healthy Volunteers: A Randomized Crossover Trial“, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2017, Article ID 7251562, 8 pages, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/7251562
3.Tianguang Lei,Weisheng Xie,Jianrong Han,Barbara E. Corkey,James A. Hamilton,Wen Guo, “Medium-Chain Fatty Acids Attenuate Agonist-Stimulated Lipolysis, Mimicking the Effects of Starvation”, Obes Res. 2004 Apr;12(4):599-611. doi: 10.1038/oby.2004.69. 4.
4. Ogbolu DO, Oni AA, Daini OA, Oloko AP. In vitro antimicrobial properties of coconut oil on Candida species in Ibadan, Nigeria. J Med Food. 2007 Jun;10(2):384-7. doi: 10.1089/jmf.2006.1209. PMID: 17651080.
4b. Bergsson G, Arnfinnsson J, Steingrímsson O, Thormar H. In vitro killing of Candida albicans by fatty acids and monoglycerides. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2001 Nov;45(11):3209-12. doi: 10.1128/AAC.45.11.3209-3212.2001. PMID: 11600381; PMCID: PMC90807.
5. Galvin JE. OPTIMIZING DIAGNOSIS AND MANANGEMENT IN MILD-TO-MODERATE ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE. Neurodegener Dis Manag. 2012 Jun;2(3):291-304. doi: 10.2217/nmt.12.21. PMID: 22973426; PMCID: PMC3437664.
6. Jakob S, Zabielski R, Mosenthin R, Valverde Piedra JL, Evilevitch L, Kuria M, Rippe C, Sörhede Winzell M, Pierzynowski SG. Influence of intraduodenally infused olive and coconut oil on postprandial exocrine pancreatic secretions of growing pigs. J Anim Sci. 2001 Feb;79(2):477-85. doi: 10.2527/2001.792477x. PMID: 11219458.
7. Newport MT, VanItallie TB, Kashiwaya Y, King MT, Veech RL. A new way to produce hyperketonemia: use of ketone ester in a case of Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimers Dement. 2015 Jan;11(1):99-103. doi: 10.1016/j.jalz.2014.01.006. Epub 2014 Oct 7. PMID: 25301680; PMCID: PMC4300286.
8. Lappano, R., Sebastiani, A., Cirillo, F. et al. The lauric acid-activated signaling prompts apoptosis in cancer cells. Cell Death Discov. 3, 17063 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1038/cddiscovery.2017.63.
8c. Wroblewski LE, Peek RM Jr, Wilson KT. Helicobacter pylori and gastric cancer: factors that modulate disease risk. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2010 Oct;23(4):713-39. doi: 10.1128/CMR.00011-10. PMID: 20930071; PMCID: PMC2952980.
9. Otuechere CA, Madarikan G, Simisola T, Bankole O, Osho A. Virgin coconut oil protects against liver damage in albino rats challenged with the anti-folate combination, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol. 2014 May 1;25(2):249-53. doi: 10.1515/jbcpp-2013-0059. PMID: 24285126.
10.Hayatullina Z, Muhammad N, Mohamed N, Soelaiman IN. Virgin coconut oil supplementation prevents bone loss in osteoporosis rat model. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:237236. doi: 10.1155/2012/237236. Epub 2012 Sep 16. PMID: 23024690; PMCID: PMC3457741.
11. Rial, S.A.; Karelis, A.D.; Bergeron, K.-F.; Mounier, C. Gut Microbiota and Metabolic Health: The Potential Beneficial Effects of a Medium Chain Triglyceride Diet in Obese Individuals. Nutrients 2016, 8, 281. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu8050281
12. Shilling M, Matt L, Rubin E, Visitacion MP, Haller NA, Grey SF, Woolverton CJ. Antimicrobial effects of virgin coconut oil and its medium-chain fatty acids on Clostridium difficile. J Med Food. 2013 Dec;16(12):1079-85. doi: 10.1089/jmf.2012.0303. PMID: 24328700.
13. Castro VS, Ortega Polo R, Figueiredo EEdS, Bumunange EW, McAllister T, King R, et al. (2021) Inconsistent PCR detection of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli: Insights from whole genome sequence analyses. PLoS ONE 16(9): e0257168. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0257168
14. Arunima S, Rajamohan T. Effect of virgin coconut oil enriched diet on the antioxidant status and paraoxonase 1 activity in ameliorating the oxidative stress in rats – a comparative study. Food Funct. 2013 Sep;4(9):1402-9. doi: 10.1039/c3fo60085h. PMID: 23892389.
15. Narayanankutty, A., Mukesh, R.K., Ayoob, S.K. et al. Virgin coconut oil maintains redox status and improves glycemic conditions in high fructose fed rats. J Food Sci Technol 53, 895–901 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-015-2040-8
16. Shanbhag VK. Oil pulling for maintaining oral hygiene – A review. J Tradit Complement Med. 2016 Jun 6;7(1):106-109. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcme.2016.05.004. PMID: 28053895; PMCID: PMC5198813.
17. Lin TK, Zhong L, Santiago JL. Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils. Int J Mol Sci. 2017 Dec 27;19(1):70. doi: 10.3390/ijms19010070. PMID: 29280987; PMCID: PMC5796020.
18. Nayak BS, Ann CY, Azhar AB, Ling ECS, Yen WH, Aithal PA. A Study on Scalp Hair Health and Hair Care Practices among Malaysian Medical Students. Int J Trichology. 2017 Apr-Jun;9(2):58-62. doi: 10.4103/ijt.ijt_76_16. PMID: 28839388; PMCID: PMC5551307.